Before we get to this vegan eggnog, let’s chat for a sec. We’ve been posting some healthy holiday tips over on Instagram this past week. And while these tips are especially useful this time of year (when we’re faced with all the sugar), they represent our food philosophy all year round. Today’s tip? Everything is upgradable in a real food way. It’s not about giving up traditions or treats you love, but upgrading them by using the real stuff. You know, whole-food ingredients you can pronounce.
Let’s take eggnog, for example. Sure, you can buy store-bought eggnog. But if you check the ingredients list, you’ll most likely see artificial flavor and color (plus a bunch of other weird preservatives and thickeners). No thanks. Let’s upgrade it. If you’re not vegan, try using the real stuff; grass-fed milk, pastured egg yolks, a bit of maple syrup, nutmeg, and cinnamon. We promise it will taste just as good – better! – than the packaged version that comes with a side of Yellow #5.
Or try this vegan eggnog. Our version is a bit less traditional but healthy enough to drink as a breakfast or post-workout smoothie… with all the holiday flavor you’d expect. This vegan eggnog is dairy-free, paleo, and sweetened only with dates. The color? It’s from turmeric, which is anti-inflammatory. The cashews, pecans, and coconut milk add satisfying healthy fats to keep you energized through all that last minute shopping. Omit the bourbon if you’re drinking this as a morning smoothie… or maybe don’t ;). Happy holidays!
Want more healthy holiday recipes?
Get our FREE Holiday Bars eBook!
5 Whole-Food Bar Recipes to Celebrate the Holiday Season
Your holiday favorites. But good for you.
Because that’s how we roll around here.
Vegan, gluten-free, and paleo.
Pumpkin Pie Bars with Cream “Cheese” Frosting
Peppermint Brownie Bars with Chocolate Chips
Pecan Pie Bars with Raw Salted Caramel
Apple Pie Bars à la Mode
Gingerbread Bars with Crystallized Ginger
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- ½ cup raw pecans, soaked overnight
- 8 pitted dried dates, Medjool or soaked overnight (see notes)
- 3-4 cups of non-dairy milk (depending on thickness preference)
- ¼ cup protein powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric (for color)
- 4 oz. bourbon (optional)
- ice (optional, see notes)
- Soak the cashews, pecans, and dates overnight (you can do this in one bowl).
- Drain the liquid from the soaked ingredients and add to a high-speed blender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend on high until completely smooth.
Medjool dates are moister so they don’t require soaking while other dates, like Deglet Noor, need to be soaked. To soak, simply cover with water overnight and discard the soaking liquid before using.