It’s no secret that our favorite way to balance out all the veggies is with wine (#alldayrosé). But we like to mix it up from time to time, especially when it’s fruit season. This watermelon lime cucumber cooler satisfies all our requirements; healthy-ish, simple, and deliciously refreshing. Not to mention there’s no added sugar… aaaand it’s made with cucumbers (so it’s almost a salad, right?).
With barbecue season in full swing (hallelujah), there are plenty of opportunities to kick back with friends, family, and an ice cold bevvie. Here are our favorite tips to make your drinks a little healthier.
- Keep It Simple
(Our motto for pretty much everything). The simpler the better, especially with cocktails. We like to be able to recognize every ingredient that goes into our drinks. Think: real, pronounceable ingredients over anything artificial (seeya neon yellow margarita mix).
- Cut the Sugar
Cocktails made with fresh fruit, like this watermelon lime cucumber cooler, are usually naturally sweet enough. If you need to sweeten your drink, try a healthier option like honey or a pinch of pure stevia. Or opt for naturally sugar-free drinks, like wine.
Make your drink last longer – and taste even more refreshing – by adding some ice cold seltzer water. You can even add seltzer to white wine (hey, wine spritzer).
With a cocktail in your hand, it’s easy to sip the night away and consume a few too many without much thought. Try this simple trick: between alcoholic drinks, pour yourself a glass of cold seltzer water (add a lime to make it extra #fancy). You’ll drink less and stay hydrated without missing the party (and probably missing the hangover).
- 4 cups cubed, seeded watermelon
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and cubed
- ¼ cup lime juice (juice from 2 limes)
- ⅔ cups vodka or light rum
- honey, agave syrup, or stevia to taste, if desired (we think it's sweet enough as is)
- ice and cucumber slices for serving
- Set a large fine-mesh strainer or nut milk bag over a large bowl or pitcher.
- In high-speed blender, purée the watermelon and cucumbers. Pour the purée through the strainer or nut milk bag, pressing on the purée with the back of a spoon so all the juice is squeezed through. Discard the pulp.
- Stir in the lime juice and vodka into the watermelon cucumber juice.
- To serve, fill four glasses generously with ice and top each with the cocktail mixture. Garnish with cucumber slices.